Monday, March 30, 2009

Circle of concern!

I first read about "Circle of concern and circle of influence" in seven habits, Theoretically speaking its a very obvious concept, Covey says effective people don't spend their time worrying about things they can't control, but they concentrate their time and energy on the things the can influence. Mumbai has been hit by fierce summers this time. My flat on the 14th floor sizzles even in the night. I have been trying to install a AC in my bedroom since monday so that I can sleep peacefully after having worked 10 hours in office and traveled for 2 hours in mumbai local train. But because of one or the other reason not in my control AC installation has been delayed, yesterday night finally when the AC was installed and plugged in the plug turned out to be defective. Thinking about covey and effectiveness I moistened a bed sheet and covered my self with it and went to sleep. Its friday today I am worried whether the thing would work out today or not. And I am all the more perturbed by the fact that I m not effective :(



In practice it is almost impossible to not to worry about a concern just because one can't do anything about it. Concern is a child of expectation, expectation on the other hand is manifestation of ones aspiration, identity, etc. etc. If one has to go deeper and ask a question why do people aspire, evolution seems to be the answer. Evolution to me seems to be the purpose of life. Life through-out the time and space has led to evolution. Without any further philosophical inquiry, I would get to the point I am trying to make here :



Only thing I want to do here is to negate a theoretical obvious argument by another, If I were to stop worrying about things I can't control, I would have to control my expectation, there by programming my aspiration, identity accordingly, which is essentially controlling evolution "the purpose of life".



It is true that nothing happens by worrying about a concern, But worry is caused by something beyond a living creatures control. One can control his worries and try to focus his energy on things he can achieve. Seven habits of highly effective people is a hit, but appreciating a theory without the understanding of its limitation could be futile!

No comments: